· Don’t hide keys in obvious places, such as under an exterior floor mat or a planter. Most burglars know the most common places to hide keys. If you must hide them, keep keys stored in a secured key box.
· Keep keys separate from your address, so if they are ever lost or stolen, no one can identify where they belong.
· Immediately change or re-key the locks when you move to a new home. A locksmith may charge $40 to $100 or more to re-key locks or, if you prefer to do it yourself, re-key kits are available at hardware stores for less than $20.
· Keep garage doors secure, especially those that connect to the house from inside the garage and doors leading to the garage from outside. Use a padlock to secure the inside of the garage door.
· Keep windows locked, especially on the home’s lower level where they can be an attractive target for criminals.
For all of my personal security lock and key needs as well as my business needs I use Gary Beaver with Bay to Beaches. Great service, great prices and when he’s done the sense of security feels great! Gary can be reached at (415) 388-9020.